Saturday, December 1, 2012

Things to never listen to ever:

Bands that are Harry Potter themed or that base their music off of being a fan boy/girl. Exhibit A: Alex Carpenter.

One look at this bandcamp ought to explain it all.

There is such a thing as bad music, and this is it. The instrumental isn't that bad. It's got some rhythm and depth to it, but his voice and the lyrics just ruin it all. To top it off, he titles his songs with such titles that reveal his insane fan boying qualities: "Bow Ties are Cool" and "This Town (Ministry of Magic Cover for Charity)". Not to mention, this motherfucker covered "Friday", and my god is it horrible.

And if you think his recorded stuff is bad, wait 'til you hear him live. Earlier this night, the one and the same Alex Carpenter performed at Swarthmore College for their annual Yule Ball. By god, I never heard anyone sing so horrifically. Luckily, most people were chatting during his set, so there was some noise to cover up some of his "music". Let's just say it was more tragic than terrible.

I don't think I've ever had more disdain for any musician than I've had for this. Love me or hate me, this is my opinion, and I stick with it. It's one thing to like Doctor Who and Harry Potter and Hunger Games. It's another thing to become obsessed with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment